You’re hunting for the best mid-range smartphones in Kenya and want something suitable for your needs without paying through the nose. But what’s worse than paying for a lame phone is getting ripped off. And that’s where this compilation comes in.
We’ve taken the time to analyze the Kenyan market and compile the five best contenders for mid-range smartphones worth your money. These options have everything from incredible cameras to FHD screens to long battery life, so no matter what you’re looking for, there’s something on this list that will catch your eye. After all, a capable yet affordable piece of technology is the kind of luxury a techie can’t resist.
So, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy the show—you’re in for a treat!
5 Best Mid-Range Smartphones in Kenya in 2022
1. Xiaomi Redmi Note 10s
Price: Ksh 25,699
Xiaomi Redmi 10s is a conversation starter that your friends will idolize. It has a lot going for it, delivering an impressive display experience paired with an excellent design that reminds us of its sibling, the Poco X3 GT. Its color options are broader, ranging from Onyx gray, Oceanic blue, Pebble white, and Starlight purple. A responsive edge-mounted fingerprint scanner backed up by face unlock allows quick and secure access to your phone.
The AMOLED is a welcome addition for buyers looking for something brighter or crystal clear than most LCD panels. Plus, it’s a 6.43-inch dot display, meaning you’re getting an edge-to-edge screen without any annoying water-drop notch. Full HD+ resolution of 2400 x 1080 pixels offers a pixel density of 409 PPI, so you benefit from better viewing angles and crisper images.
The lack of a pre-installed screen protector is disappointing, but we appreciate that Xiaomi included Corning Gorilla glass which should keep your screen safe from everyday wear and tear.
The Redmi 10S device runs on Android 11 with Xiaomi’s MIUI 12 launcher out of the box. And while you don’t expect an ultimate powerhouse at this price point, the MediaTek Helio G95 chipset backed by 6 GB or 8 GB RAM makes it a joy to use. The 64GB or 128 GB internal memory will let you store all your photos, videos, and apps with little to worry about running out of space.
Another notable feature is the inclusion of a quad-lens camera setup on the rear panel of this best smartphone in Kenya. You can expect the 64MP primary sensor to perform well in most lighting conditions. And you can also take advantage of AI image processing for better results in difficult lighting conditions or when shooting fast-moving objects. Plus, it can record 1080P videos at 60fps with the option to add a slow-motion effect. There’s also a 13MP front camera that tops out at 1080p@30fps videos.
Xiaomi packed plenty of features and toggles into the comprehensive control center on this device. Plus, you can customize your experience with various themes available in the Mi Theme Store.
The stereo speakers churn out superb audio quality, and the 5000mAh battery (paired with 33W fast charging) should keep you going all day long.
Tagline: Best pixel density
- Striking design
- AMOLED higher-resolution display
- Capable of capturing 1080P videos at 60 fps
- A generous RAM and ROM size
- Clearer, AI-enabled camera setup
- Stereo speakers
- Multiple color options
- Water resistant up to level 3
- Not as affordable
- It could be better with a Snapdragon chipset
- Smaller screen size
- Dimensions: 16.1 x 7.5 x 0.8 cm
- Display: 6.43-inch, 1080 x 2400 pixels, 409 PPI, Corning Gorilla Glass 3, AMOLED
- OS: Android 11, MIUI 12.5
- Processor: MediaTek Helio G95, octa-core, Mali-G76 GPU
- Camera: 64MP main, 13 MP selfie, 1080p@30/60fps
- Storage: 6/8GB RAM, 64/128 GB ROM
- Battery: 5,000mAh, non-removable, Li-Po, 33W fast charging
- Water resistance: IP53
- Extras: Side-mounted fingerprint sensor, stereo speakers, 3.5mm audio jack, Bluetooth 5.1, USB type-C, NFC
2. Tecno POVA Neo
Price: Ksh 16,298
POVA Neo is a more budget-friendly version of the POVA 2, but it still packs all the bells and whistles to keep up with your everyday needs. It’s sleek and stylish, but don’t let its looks fool you: it packs some serious hardware to keep your game on point.
In terms of design, it’s pretty much like most 2021-22 smartphones out there—a rectangular block with rounded corners. You’ll find the power button and volume keys on the right side of the device, while the SIM card tray is nestled on the left. The bottom houses a USB Type-C port, microphone hole, speaker grille, and 3.5mm audio jack. It sports a rear-mounted fingerprint scanner. Plus, it’s available in three colors: Powehi black, Obsidian, or Geek blue—each is a sleek and sophisticated standout that adds flair to your style.
Based on Android 11 with HIOS 7.6, the POVA Neo is ready to deliver an unmatched experience right out of the box. And with an Octa-core 2.0 GHz processor and an ET Engine powering its high-refresh-rate graphics and dynamic control adjustments, you can expect it to handle demanding games like Call of Duty and PUBG seamlessly.
With this best mid-range smartphone in Kenya, you get a 6,000mAh Li-Po battery replenishable in two hrs with the stock 18W fast charger. That’s good music to the ears of impatient, heavy users.
A 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM combo means you’ll never have to worry about slow responses or running out of space for files or apps. And if that’s not enough for your needs, this best smartphone in Kenya supports memory cards up to 256 GB in size. Plus, the integrated phone cloner will let you move data from an old phone onto a new one hassle-free.
POVA Neo has a 6.8-inch dot-notch display with 720 x 1640 resolution, 263-pixel density, and 83% screen-to-body ratio. That’s pretty enough to give you an immersive experience, but it might be dimmer in direct sunlight. The notch houses an 8MP single-lens, dual-flash camera backed by a 13MP dual-lens, quad-flash rear camera.
And did we mention this best mid-budget smartphone in Kenya has an integrated voice changer? Yes, that’s right. And whether you want to sound more like an alien or a chipmunk, we won’t judge.
Tagline: Best battery, largest display
- Best-in-class battery capacity
- Seamless data migration between two phones
- Impressive storage for the price
- Multiple color options
- Larger, 120Hz dot screen
- Supports fast charging
- Integrated voice changer
- Its screen resolution could be better
- Not ideal for professional photos
- Dimensions: 17.1 x 7.7 x 0.9 cm
- Display: 6.8-inch, 720 x 1640p, 263 PPI, 480 nits, 120Hz, IPS LCD
- OS: Android 11, HIOS 7.6
- Processor: MediaTek Helio G25, octa-core, PowerVR GPU, ET Engine
- Camera: 13MP quad-flash main, 8MP dual-flash selfie, 1080p@30fps
- Storage: 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM
- Battery: 6000mAh, non-removable, Li-Po, 18W fast charging
- Extras: Rear fingerprint scanner, Bluetooth 5.0, 3.5mm audio jack, USB type-C, OTG,
3. Xiaomi Redmi 10C
Price: Ksh 19,599
If you’re looking for something that’s incredible value for money, the Xiaomi Redmi 10C is right up your alley.
Available in Ocean blue, Mint green, and Graphite gray, this best smartphone in Kenya has everything you need to stay connected and entertained. Its rear-mounted fingerprint scanner is rear-mount can be hard to reach, and that’s where face unlock comes in handy. The textured back casing feels fantastic in hand and makes it easier to grip the phone.
Redmi 9C’s successor features a 6.7” IPS LCD with a water-drop notch and a resolution of 720 x 1650 pixels which isn’t as bright outdoors as flagships but still decent enough to get your work done indoors without straining your eyes.
A 60Hz screen refresh rate is standard at this price point but ensures the phone handles typical tasks just fine. A 5000mAh battery will last through hours of binge-watching, and the powerful speaker brings life to every sound. All these work together to bring you an immersive entertainment experience without breaking the bank.
Read Mode safeguards your eyes against harmful, sleep-depriving rays while reading or watching videos at night. And then there’s that 3rd Gen Corning Gorilla Glass that keeps the screen clear of scratches and scuffs.
The camera module isn’t as striking. But looks can be deceiving as it houses a 50MP rear camera with Night Mode, HDR, Panorama technology, and 1080P video recording capability. The selfie camera is subpar at 5MP, but you could improve the results with GCam.
Redmi 10C runs on Android 11 and MIUI 13 platforms powered by a Snapdragon 680 processor, offering similar performance as Redmi Note 11 but at a lesser price. The RAM is 4GB, which means faster typing speed and loading times across demanding apps like inventory management apps. An integrated extension feature can boost its size up to 5GB if needed. You get two options for internal storage: 64 GB or 128 GB.
Tagline: Best processor
- Better processing power
- Higher-detail rear camera
- Impressive RAM + ROM combo
- Corning Gorilla glass protection for the screen
- Expandable RAM
- Read Mode helps reduce eye strain
- Multiple options for the body color
- No pre-installed screen protector and protective casing
- The selfie camera could be better
- No IR blaster as seen in other siblings
- It doesn’t support split-screen multitasking or app sidebar
- Hard-to-reach fingerprint scanner
- Dimensions: 16.9 x 7.7 x 0.8 cm
- Display: 6.7-inch, 720 x 1650 pixels, 268 PPI, Corning Gorilla glass protection, IPS LCD
- OS: Android 11, MIUI 13
- Processor: Snapdragon 680, octa-core, Adreno 610 GPU
- Storage: 4GB RAM( expandable to 5GB), 64GB ROM
- Camera: 50MP main, 5MP front, 1080p@30fps
- Battery: 5000 mAh, Li-Po, non-removable, 18W fast charging
- Extras: 3.5mm audio jack, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, rear-mounted fingerprints, USB type-C
4. Samsung Galaxy A03s
Price: Ksh 14,249
Galaxy A03s is an excellent choice if you’re gasping for an affordable yet solid Samsung phone. It comes in black, white, red, or blue, so choose whatever works best for your style.
Its design is decent, with an all-black tapered plastic casing. At the front sits a 6.5-inch, 1600 x 720 IPS LCD panel surrounded by quite a chunky black border and packs around 270 pixels per inch (PPI). That definitely won’t blow you away with its clarity, but it’s a decent viewing experience overall. The water-drop notch and higher screen “chin” leave you with ample screen real estate.
A03s is among the few best smartphones in Kenya under 15k with a power button that also serves as the fingerprint scanner. It’s fast, accurate, and a welcome leap from the rear-mounted scanners synonymous with many rivals in this price range.
Samsung crammed a 3GB Ram and Mediatek Helio P35 processor into this little guy. It’s fast enough to handle anything you throw at it while still being efficient enough to keep battery life high. Plus, you get 32 gigabytes of internal storage—about 19 GB of which is usable, which is still sufficient to keep all your favorite files close by. There’s also a 4GB model with 64GB RAM if you want more space!
This best mid-range smartphone in Kenya packs a triple-lens rear camera setup comprising a 13MP primary camera, a 2MP depth camera, and a 2MP macro camera. And if you want to take more than just photos, the A03s’ 5000mAh battery gives you plenty of juice to keep going all day. Plus, it supports 18W fast charging. Unfortunately, it comes with a 5W charger that takes 4 hrs to refill the battery.
Tagline: Most affordable
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Respectable storage for the price
- It offers most color options in its category
- Supports fast charging
- Impressive battery capacity
- Expansion slot for up to 1 TB
- Supports Bluetooth 5.0 and USB type-c for faster data transfers
- The speaker system could be better
- The screen could be sharper
- The package doesn’t include a fast charger
- Dimensions: 16.4 x 7.6 x 0.9 cm
- Display: 6.5-inch, 720 x 1600 pixels, 270 PPI
- OS: Android 11 (Upgradable to Android 12)
- Processor: Mediatek Helio P35, octa-core
- Storage: 3/4 GB RAM, 32/64 GB ROM
- Camera: 13MP main, 5MP front, 1080p@30fps
- Battery: 5000 mAh, non-removable, 15W fast charging
- Charging duration: 4 hrs (with the 5W stock charger)
- Extras: USB type-C, NFC, Bluetooth 5.0, side-mounted fingerprint sensor, 3.5mm audio jack, dual sim, 4G
5. Tecno CAMON 19 Pro
Price: Ksh 35,399
The new kid on the block, Tecno Camon 19 Pro, is a big chunk of awesomeness, standing out with a flat body design and tempered glass, silk matte finish back. But don’t mistake the slimmer profile for a lack of power. Running on Android 11, Mediatek Helio G96 chipset, and HIOS 8.6, this best smartphone in Kenya is as fast and reliable as you’d expect from a premium product.
It comes with a 6.8-inch AMOLED dot display with a 120Hz refresh rate, making scrolling and swiping through websites or apps noticeably smoother. And with 1080 x 2460p resolution, you can better stream 4K content from Amazon Prime, Netflix, or YouTube (just ensure your internet connection is fast enough).
Something else stands out: the versatile camera setup. It includes a 64MP primary camera rated for 60X zoom, which works well for distant objects. And while the detail isn’t as impressive, that shouldn’t compromise your experience.
OIS+EIS stabilization on the 50MP portrait lens makes for more refined videos. Sure, you don’t expect to get away without some shaky movements here and there, but that’s preferable to software-based stabilization techniques that may introduce artifacts into your recordings. Completing the arrangement is a 32MP punch-hole front camera that captures skin tone with plenty of contrast. Video recording tops out at 1080p on both rear and front cameras.
Audio-wise, you get FM radio, the old-school 3.5 mm headphone jack, and a loud mono speaker with no bass. BT 5.0 ensures distortion-free connections with Bluetooth home theater receivers and other BT-enabled devices.
The battery life is respectable: 5,000 milliamperes hours gives you 6-7 hours of gameplay between charges. And when it gets drained? No worries—the provided 33W fast charger should refill it within 65 minutes. Last and undoubtedly not least, you get a staggering 256 Gigabytes of internal storage.
Tagline: Best internal storage, highest refresh rate
- Class-leading internal storage
- Snazzy design
- Larger, AMOLED, higher-resolution display
- It supports 33W fast charging
- Highly capable rear and front camera
- Gimbal stabilization ensures more polished videos
- Best-in-class screen refresh rate
- Slacks on audio quality
- Colors aren’t that accurate as they tend toward bluish
- The processing power could be better
- It may take a while to get a hang on of the new notification bar and control center
- Dimensions: 16.7 x 7.5 x 0.85 cm
- Display: 6.8-inch, AMOLED, 1080 x 2460p, 395 PPI
- OS: Android 11, HIOS 8.6
- Processor: Mediatek Helio G96, octa-core
- Storage: 8GB RAM, 128/256GB ROM
- Camera: 64MP main, 32MP front
- Battery: 5,000 mAh, non-detachable, Li-Po, 33W fast charging
- Charging duration: 65 mins
- Extras: Side-mounted fingerprint scanner, NFC, GPS, USB type-C 2.0